Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Week Eight


Today was my first day back to rehab after 2 weeks of being away. I have to say, just sitting at the table when I got there, felt so good! It was where I was supposed to be. I got a rousing welcome back from everyone, which felt awesome, too.
I might suffer tomorrow from today's workout, but it doesn't seem that I lost a whole lot of ground in my 2 week absence. I was able to do almost what I was at when I left. My pulse ran much higher during the exercise, but not dangerously so.
My BP was 125/76 when I got there, and my pulse was 126. The walk in had been tough. I stopped 2 times on the way in to catch my breath. My O2 sat was 97%. (Oxygen at 4L continuous for exercise). I rested about 10 minutes before starting.
First I did the UBE, and was able to do 10 minutes, which was where I left off. My pulse ran around 122 and my O2 sat 95%. I have always detested this piece of equipment, but today the time went by in a snap and I didn't dislike it so much. I hope I can like it someday!
Next was the TM. I did 10 minutes at 1.0 MPH. My pulse ran in the upper 120's to a high of 132. My O2 sat was 96%. I had been up to 15 minutes previously so maybe Thursday I will try for that again.
The last one I did was the Nu-Step, which I love. I worked 10 minutes at Level 5; the last time I did it I did 15 minutes. Again, perhaps Thurs I will work up to that again. I only was able to do 665 steps, a far cry from the 1500 I was previously able to do. But it's progress, not perfection, that counts. My pulse ran in the 120's; O2 sat 96%.
By the time I was done, and resting for the last time before leaving, my O2 sat was 96%, Pulse 110 and BP 109/68.
Of course, during all this there was constant conversation. Cheryl, who has cancer as well as COPD, hasn't been attending because she just started another round of chemotherapy. Her wonderfully positive attitude had been such a blessing for all of us and we hope she comes back soon.
I love the conversation that goes back and forth among all of us. It helps the time go by and making new friends is always a good thing for me. I feel so comfortable there and I'm so happy that I didn't have as much of a setback as I had thought.
~Eileen

No comments: