Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Week 16 Tuesday


I feel the effects of the inconsistencies of my workouts - more trouble breathing, inability to walk as far, lack of energy. So it is with renewed commitment that I went to my pulmonary rehab maintenance today.
After catching my breath, I took my BP and O2 sat. My blood pressure was up there at 178/91. Yikes! After the walk in, my O2 sat was 97% - confirming the theory that movement is GOOD.
I went to the UBE first, and did 10 minutes. My biceps and triceps burned! But it was good to get back into the swing of it all. As I was pedaling my arms along, I was checking out the room. It was filling up with new faces. My how things have changed in a week! We wound up with 9 people exercising today.
After a rest, I went to the treadmill and did 11 minutes at 1.2. I was struggling at 10 minutes, but I decided to push myself one more minute - sort of my salute to renewed motivation. After I was done on the TM, I sat at the table, had some water and visited for a while because I was waiting for the Nu-Step to be free. My BP was down to 125/74 and my O2 sats were 97%. Silently, I said way to go!
On to the Nu-Step and I did 10 minutes before I was completely wiped out. I was only able to do 880 steps. I just could not make my arms and legs go on any more. Back to the table for more rest and water and conversation.
I really enjoy sharing conversations with fellow COPDers and others who attend. I've said before, some have cancer and a multitude of additional illnesses, and their spirit always humbles me. I felt particularly bad for Libby today. She usually comes in with a big smile and lots of laughter but she was subdued today. I asked her if she was ok and she told me that she had been up all night with knee pain. (If that was me, I'd still be in bed whining!) She also told me that her brother, her last sibling, died on Saturday and she looked so sad that I could have cried. But she was there today. If I hadn't been motivated before, I was most certainly motivated now.
There was a sweet bouquet of flowers on the table today. Some lilacs, tulips and a couple others that I can't recall their names. But there were also some white bleeding hearts. They were so delicate and beautiful! Can you believe that I've never seen them in person? What a day!

No comments: