Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pulmonary Rehab Maintenance

Hi everyone!

Kasey asked me to post my experience with pulmonary rehab as I've just begun (again) a maintenance program. Kasey's doc still hasn't cleared her to continue, so I'll share my experiences until she's back at it, which we all hope is very soon!

My name is Eileen and I'm a moderator on the Breathing Better Living Well communitity forum. I was diagnosed with COPD in 1999 after a hospitalization for respiratory failure. I have what is considered severe COPD with an FEV1 of 34%(4/06); my FEV1 was 29% in 2005 and I can only conclude that quitting smoking and going to pulmonary rehab are responsible for the improvement from very severe to severe. I am on Advair, Spiriva, Albuterol and Theophylline.

I have had motivation problems when it comes to exercise. It seems that unless I'm accountable to someone, I very easily talk myself out of getting any good exercise. I went to pulmonary rehab in 2001 and again in in late 05/early 06. I've been in and out of pulmonary rehab maintenance ever since then.

So it isn't any great stretch to determine that I am quite deconditioned. In October, I called our local hospital where the rehab is, and asked to get back into the maintenance program. I was disappointed to learn that all the classes were filled and that I would have to go on a very long waiting list. I have been exercising on my own sporadically.

Just after Christmas, Rose, who runs the program called me to say that because there were so many on the wait list, our pulmonologist insisted that she start another class! Wahoo! I started today and go Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I will continue this tomorrow, as I am VERY tired and sore tonight. I'll be able to think clearer and therefore write clearer on a good night's sleep. So sweet dreams,all, and breathe easy!

~Eileen

No comments: