Thursday, January 18, 2007

Just a little hiccup

I think I have the curse of the blog...last week I was fine and this week I'm sick. But I'll post anyway.

Last week, as I said, I felt really good. I had seen my pulmonary doc that week and we were happy with the way things were going for me. But on Friday in class, I started with a really bad headache and my blood pressure was very high. After class I went to my PCP for reasurrances that I wasn't going to stroke out. My blood pressure had come down a little and we decided that I'd go back on a diuretic for a while although there was no swelling in my feet or ankles. And I did get my reassurance that I wasn't stroking out.

Then on Monday, I woke up severely short of breath, my feet were like footballs and I felt awful. I talked again with my PCP and I doubled up on the diuretic, and he added prednisone and albuterol by nebulizer. No fever and no discolored mucus, so no antibiotic.

I started feeling better today and tried to do some things around the house. That just left me coughing so hard that I was drenched with sweat from the effort and crying in frustration. I was going to try to go to rehab tomorrorw but now I think I'll just take it easy until next week.

I am breathing better and know by next week I'll be able to continue where I left off at pulmonary rehab. This just firms up my resolve to be a better me! I'll leave another post in a day or so just to update on how I'm feeling.

~Eileen

1 comment:

FRITZ said...

Allright.

That settles it.

I thank you for sharing your experiences about COPD with the world. The other night, when I was in the ER (in which Kasey commented on my blog), I told my husband I am destined for COPD if I don't stop smoking. He didn't know what it was, so he looked it up and just stared at me in this quiet way, like, 'I can't believe you would risk this'.

But I'm young, right? Full of life? The world at my fingertips?

Reading this blog helps me understand that COPD is not reserved for 85 year old women in nursing homes. COPD is very real, and is happening, and if I don't stop smoking, I could very much be a candidate for it.

Thank you for sharing this with others. It sounds as though both of you are fighting the good fight, and succeeding. I will keep you in my thoughts. More importantly, I'm going to dig out that box of 'Commit' lozenges my husband bought for me and seriously start quitting.

Smoking sucks.