Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday, August 16


The week winds down with me feeling good about how things are progressing. I am seeing good results in my daily life that are directly the result of rehab. I am able to move more freely with less shortness of breath, showering is so much easier, and when I'm moving around, I can use less oxygen. When I got out of the hospital, I was using 5 - 6 liters of oxygen to move around, but now I usually just use 4 unless I'm exercising.

I started out on the Nu-step and pumped away for 20 minutes, completing 1,800 steps on Level 5. Then I went to the TM and did 15 minutes on 1.0. After another rest, I went to the UBE and worked my arms out for 20 minutes. My O2 sats were consistently around 95-96 and my pulse didn't go over 120. My blood pressure was still a little high, at 144/88. If it's still up next week, I'll have to call my doctor to see if he wants me to start lasix, a diuretic, again. But I really think it'll be okay.

Once again, after rehab I felt so energized. I worked for several hours in the afternoon and while I'm tired, I still feel better than if I didn't go!


~Eileen

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Keep up the good work! Exercising daily helps so much, but I think you know that already.

I don't have COPD, but I have had asthma a long time and am approaching 2 years on pred either daily or every other day. It took a good year after the bronchitis I had in the fall of 05' for me to be able to exercise again, and now you'd have to hog tie me to get me to stop. Somedays suck, but as you said, I still feel better than if I didn't get out there and do it. :-)

Brittney