Saturday, August 25, 2007

Pride followed by Grace


I realized that there is more that I want to say. It is only marginally related to pulmonary rehab but I think it's important as I'm making myself healthier to continue to be independent.


My sister called me today. We talk almost every day but today impacted me so much. A few weeks ago, she came over to visit. Once she got here, she saw that my dishes were dirty all over the counters and the litterbox was overdue for a cleaning, and the floor needed sweeping. She said to me "Eileen, I know you don't want me to do this, but I am going to do it anyway." As I cried in the livingroom ( I really did, like a baby), feeling helpless and needy, she did all of my dishes and the litterbox and swept the floor. I tearfully thanked her and we went on to have a good visit. I had really needed help with my housekeeping and I was so very grateful for her help, but I was actually physically unable to ask her for it.


Today, when we talked, she told me that she would like to come and help me out some more. She told me that she had felt so good that she was able to do something for me, and even though I cried, it was too good a feeling not to do it again. SHE made ME feel like I was doing a favor for her. Go figure. She was sincere, too. She then told me if I could physically stop her, she wouldn't do it. We had a good laugh over that.


My friends at BBLW kept telling me that some people need to do for others, and my sister is one of those people. But I couldn't accept it while I was wallowing in selfpityland under the influence of toomuchprideism. I see where my inner work lies...


But I think I'm recovering now and I will look forward to having my sister come over and help me out. What a gift she has given me and I pray that I will have the grace to accept it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Eileen. It seems to me that you both need one another very much. I am happy that you can see that in helping you, your sister is also being helped. Feeling helpless was difficult for you both. You don't lose independance when you accept love from people, you gain strenght.

Take care, Eileen.
Dee