Saturday, September 23, 2006

WORKING OUT THE REHAB - 2ND EVALUATION DAY

Greetings and welcome, welcome, welcome! Thanks so much for the support and for hanging with me. You guys are the best! Well, for obvious reasons, it was a rough week last week all the way around. But, life does go on and Pulmonary Rehab is going to improve mine ~ and yours, too, I hope!!

Our 2nd trip to rehab was the 2nd half of evaluation. This is the part of the program where they take the vitals and make the determination that one is fit enough to continue as well as determine how aggressive the program will be. Sort of customize a rehab program for each person.

My vitals are as follows:

Blood Pressure: 142/69

Pulse: 100

FEV1: 22%

Oxygen Flow: 2 Liters per minute (LPM)

My 02 saturation is at 97% until I start walking and /or exercising, then it begins to drop markedly. My 02 liters per minute (LPM) will have to be adjusted during walking and exercise from 2 LPM to 3.5 LPM for the moment. As we progress on the exercise side, the LPM will be adjusted to wherever it needs to be to keep my 02 sat at 91 or above. It will be very interesting to see exactly where my 02 requirement falls on my next visit compared to where my 02 requirement will be at the end of rehab, won’t it?

We got weighed as well but I’m not putting that here. Not gonna.

The six minute walk was, as usual, horrible as far as my performance. I have never lasted 6 minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever lasted over 2 minutes. And this time was no exception. My 02 dropped to 86 within 2 minutes time and they had me stop, sit and breathe. The diaphragmatic breathing is just incredible and brought my 02 sat back to 95% very quickly. It took about 1 and ½ minutes for me to reach 95%. The six minute walk is on my agenda again for next session. My heart rate goes high on this walk, too. So they are keeping an eye on that but tell me that as I become more conditioned, the heart rate will decrease comparatively ~ decrease and then stabilize.

Then, they introduced us all to the treadmills and we were allowed to stay on them very briefly ~ for 5 minutes. This was not to exercise but to acquaint ourselves with the machine for next session. I think mine may have snarled at me. The RT put me on the one closest to her. Not sure if that is to keep an eye on me due to my being so deconditioned or to whack me with the ruler if I act out. We’ll see.

Seems that I may be the youngest in the rehab group. The youngest and the least fit. LOL This will be fun, I can tell. It's been a long time since I've been the youngest in any group! Woo Hoo!

That was it for this session as they had to get all of us checked in and checked out. So am totally looking forward to next session.

Please stay with me, guys. Still pretty scared here so I need all the support I can get.
Till next session, then, which is Wednesday.
God bless and stay safe!
Kasey
Working out the rehab, everyday! Working out the rehab, everyway! Working out the rehab, it’s alright! Working out the rehab, our lungs on overtime!
Have a great weekend, guys! Love to all! You guys rock!

4 comments:

Breathing Better Living Well said...

You're getting there, Kasey! You're on your way. Glad the diaphragmatic breathing is working so well for you and the recovery time was not bad. Can't wait to see you walking! Easy does it, and you'll do fine.
Jane.

Pennsylvania Independent said...

Hey we need to work together in this. My FEV1 was at 50% when I went to my doctor last Tuesday, but my blood pressure is a different story. I was also at the doctor the following Friday and it was 167/142. The Tuesday I had my FEV1 test done it was 137/100. My doctor did schedule me back next week for another Blood Pressure check.

Breathing Better Living Well said...

That blood pressure is really too high. It could be that you were kind of nervous about being at the doctor and having to do a test. Any of us would be! But blood pressure numbers like that need to come down so it's good that you're going back to your doc. The FEV1 and the BP usually don't directly have anything to do with each other. The FEV1 shows the amount of obstruction in your breathing tubes and the blood pressure tells about constriction or blockage in your blood vessels.

RX850 said...

Way to go Kasey! It's good to be the youngest ANYWHERE isn't it?!

I can't wait to see how you start progressing this week. When I'm all done moving and working for a bit, I'm going to go back to rehab. You have inspired me to want to go back and get back in shape!

Take it slow and steady and enjoy the progress.