Saturday, September 02, 2006

WORKING OUT THE REHAB

Hi there and welcome. It's so nice to have you here. Do you want to step into the challenge of Pulmonary Rehabilitation with me? I could use your support, frankly.

I am Kasey and I have COPD ~ chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma ~ all "severe" and having been diagnosed in Nov 2004. I am terribly short of breath (SOB) and my oxygen level drops (desats) pretty rapidly when I move about, walk from room to room. My last FEV1 is 23%. I am 5'2" and I'm not telling you my weight but Prednisone has caused me to pack on some pounds. So ~ I'll just say, I've got to lose these 2 Thanksgiving turkeys that moved into my belly when I wasn't looking! :o)

I have been trying to get into rehab for more than a year and finally have the green light to do it! Woooo Hooooo!! Truthfully, I am really jazzed about going but am also a bit apprehensive about it. All the material I have read and the folks who have been kind enough to discuss pulmonary rehab with me have convinced me that pulmonary rehabilitation makes a marked change for the better in a COPD'er's quality of life, enabling us to be more active which, in my mind, would create a positive cycle, a healthy upswing. It lessens shortness of breath, strengthens muscles, improves the blood gas exchanges and circulation and gives a good education on enhancing quality of life and our health even further. I hear they even give tips on nutrition. Now, this is what I've been told so we are going to see ~ together ~ if I get these wonderful results. OK?

However, I can't help but wonder what if....what if I can't cut it? What if I can't keep up with the others? What if I do not pass the evaluation? What if my 02 supply runs out? What if I have one of those embarrassing episodes of gasping for air while clinging onto something....anything....for support? What if, what if, what if is a record that plays repeatedly in my head. Makes me crazy! And then, what if I go through rehab and the results are disappointing? My SOB hasn't improved? My "can do" activities have not been expanded? What then? Does that mean I'm doomed? That for the remainder of my life, I cannot breathe, walk, talk, shower, change clothes any better than I can now? My quality of life can't be enhanced? This is it? Is it the beginning of the end of me? ... Yes, one can say I'm a wee bit worried and apprehensive about this pulmonary rehabilitation. I know it has helped countless respiratory patients. But will it help ME?

FYI, I am on oxygen 24/7 at 2LPM and have been for several months now. Prior to that, I was on as needed and then at night. Same 2LPM. Lately, I have increased the flow to 2.5 or 3 LPM due to the excessive heat and awful air quality we've had. My oximeter tells me that when seated and still, my 02 sat is 95 - 98. When I start walking around, I desat to 88 very quickly. By using the PLB, I can get it back to 91 pretty quickly and then there is a slower increase from there. So, the 6 minute walk for me is ..... awful!!! I've been sedentary, which is a huge disadvantage. No one told me to exercise until I found BBLW. Now, when they give me the current FEV1, 02 Sat, etc., at rehab, I will post that info here and you all can see my progress in real time for yourselves. (Say a prayer, please?)

I take many medications: Adviar 500, Spiriva, Albuterol, Singulair, Albuterol rescue, prednisone, Advil, Xanax, Atacand, Atenolol, Synthroid, Claritin D. I also take supplements and the ones that I take specifically for my cardiopulmonary system are: Co-Q10, Omega 3, B12, Zinc and Bone/Body Factor for Women. My doctor told me last week that he is considering Xolair for me as I continue to have far too many asthma symptoms. Maybe rehab will facilitate getting off of some of these ~ I hope!


I've prepared myself (I think) for the 1st day of rehab by packing my little tote bag with my "necessities" and making sure I am wearing light, loose clothing. Also bought myself a new pair of Reeboks. Got a couple extra M6's (tell the truth - doesn't that sound like a kind of missile?!) and a fancy new shoulder holster to carry my 02 missiles along with me. I packed a PB&J in my tote, too. :o) Maybe I should make that carrot sticks and celery, eh?

I hope you'll stick with me because I sure can use your support. Thanks for being here with me. Ready to go? Let's roll!
You know that song, Taking Care of Business.....
....working out the rehab, everyday! working out the rehab, every way! working out the rehab, it's all right! Working out the rehab, my lungs on overtime!
(silly, huh?) ;)
::::::::::::: grabbing my bottled water (H20) on the way out the door :::::::::::

5 comments:

Breathing Better Living Well said...

Way to go, Kasey! Thank you for putting yourself out there to share your experience in pulmonary rehab.
Good luck!
Jane

RX850 said...

Great first post, Kasey! I wish you the best of luck with pulmonary rehab and I will be here to cheer you on!

Pennsylvania Independent said...

I know what it is like to have a pulmonary disorder. I have chronic bronchitis, which according to my doctor, I could be in the early stages of emphysema. In the fall of 2004 I developed a hacking cough that lasted for a few months. Eventually I developed a high fever of 105 and my wife and mother in law dragged me into the ER at 2:30am.(uninsured at the time) I was diagnosed with pneumonia and found to have chronic bronchitis, which according to the doctor is an early sign of emphysema. I was 25 years old at the time and never imagined when I started smoking at 14 that I would be up against such an ordeal in my mid-twenties. I was finally able to stop smoking eariler this year and I do see the benefits of stopping.

Breathing Better Living Well said...

Dear Pennsylvania,
Thanks for posting.
Hooray for quitting smoking! A hard habit to break.
I am wondering if your doctor ever said anything about testing you for Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency which is a form of emphysema in which people as young as in their 20's have trouble with breathing. You might want to check it out and you can start at our website, BreathingBetterlivingwell.com and click on "The Basics." No matter what, thanks for sharing and let us know how its going.
Jane M. Martin

Pennsylvania Independent said...

I was never tested for the Alpha 1, but my doctor highly contributed the chronic bronchitis and development of pneumonia to my nasty tobacco habit. It is a hard habit to break. It took me nearly a year and a half to stop smoking after getting pneumonia and dxd with chronic bronchitis. My doctor and family would scold me when they would catch me smoking. I used to have to sneak them and take mints with me, like I was a teenager. I am still using nicorette gum to this day, but I can tell you now it is so much easier to breathe.