Friday, August 08, 2008

Inching Forward


It is now almost 3 months since surgery on my left hip. Progress has been slow but it has been building steadily.

I have many exercises to do daily and they include upper and lower body strengthening, stretching by using weights and therabands, and resistive exercises. Resistive exercise might sound funny, but I sit with my feet flat on the floor and my knees apart. I push in with my knee, while holding my hand against it, so that it is harder to do. I do this both pushing in and out. I also add some standing exercises where I hold the back of a chair and stand on tiptoes and back onto my heels. From that position, I also kick out my left leg and hold it there to a count of 5, then repeat 10-20 times.

I had permission to use a walker and crutches, but recently I have been gradually testing out a cane. I am VERY slow with it, and not very confident. I didn't realize how dependent I had become on the comfort of the walker. Funny, I despise that thing, and can't wait to get rid of it, but it holds security for me.

I have another appointment with the surgeon in a couple of weeks and I'll have an x-ray. I am hoping that this visit will confirm my suspicions that things are going forward as they should!

~Eileen

No comments: