Sunday, December 13, 2009

COPD and Massage


Besides being part of a Pulmonary Rehab program, I have now been receiving Massage Therapy. Wow!! What a difference!

Massage and this particular Massage Therapist were recommended to me by a lady in my PR program who was using massage for pain issues. She said she felt so much better and could breathe better, and it really showed. So, skeptical me, I made an appointment with Terri.

I am not one of "those" women who go in for "Spa Days" and what I call all the "primping" sort of thing. That is what I thought massage was - like manicures and pedicures. Things that were okay to do, but I thought of as a waste of money. Luxuries, you know?

I mean, I would rather buy a pair of shoes...or a something for my grandson ...than waste the money on myself! Go out to lunch with a friend...anything else!

I have now gone five weeks in a row, and even my husband is very impressed with how much better I am doing. First session (he had to push me in the chair to even get me in there) I talked my way through - telling her all about my pain and what had caused it (injuries, previous surgeries) and I forgot to enjoy! The second time she had to wake me up! I gave in to the soothing feel of her hands and the background music. The ones since have been a combination. Undeniably I am much more relaxed and truly breathing better. The tension she has released from my body is amazing. I was so tight it's surprising I was able to breathe at all.

The other reason I was hesitant about massage is my own vanity. I have lost so much weight with my illness and as you may know our skin does not shrink as we age. Having gone from a well-toned, extremely active person who was able to feel proud of her body, to this shrunken fragile looking shell is humiliating and the thought of anyone seeing "all of me" in this state was frightening! I discovered she only uncovers the part she is working on, in very dim lighting, and never sees me completely undressed. What a relief! Had I known I might have gone sooner!!

I do not have a problem lying flat, if I do it in stages. I cannot go from moving around a lot to just lying down. Some people with breathing issues simply need to have their head raised a bit and Terri can work with that. Terri has a Nursing background and I believe that is one reason she is so effective for someone with severe COPD like mine (My FEV is around 19)).

Another concern I had was cost. Just how much was this "luxury" going to set me back??? Surprise...if I were still smoking I would spend about the same on a carton of cigarettes. This is a much better trade-off!

I would highly recommend massage therapy to anyone, male or female, with tension build-up, breathing issues, pain issues, or simply in need of a "gift for me" experience...because that is what it is for me - a gift. I can state that it is and will continue to be well worth the expense.

Ask around for a good therapist Terri tells me. Not all massage therapists are alike and word does get out about a good one. They actually appreciate knowing their clients have referred them. Wouldn't we all?
Enjoy your massage!
Peg

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Peg,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I can hear it in your voice how much better you're feeling!
Thanks, especially, for being honest about all the reasons you thought massage was NOT a for you. I think we all have a way of talking ourselves out of doing something new and staying in our comfort zones, even though that may not be what's best for us.
Jane.

Tim said...

The BLOG looks great and
what a GREAT POST. It's
good to see this BLOG
active again.

Keep up the good Work!

Tim

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie said...

There is nothing better then message therapy!

Anonymous said...

A great way to monitor COPD is to use a portable Finger Pulse Oximeter.

You can find FDA approved Pule Oximeters at www.pulseoximetersdirect.com

Ayurvediques Massages Marseille said...

Well said massage therapist plays a very important role in the massage experience you have had.

Me said...

Hi
It is wonderful to read your blog and I believe that you are a true inspiration for many people in the same situation.
I’m fortunate enough to be healthy still, but have a sincere interest in your disease. I’m currently starting up a project aiming at developing a personal health system for people with COPD. How wonderful it would have been to have you on board! Sweden is a bit off the map, I know :-)

The main aim according to the project definition is to find a way (technically) to detect deterioration in health status at an early stage to be able to prevent unnecessary exacerbations and hospital admissions. My own personal goal is to create an inspiring system, including web- and mobile applications, which will allow you to stay as healthy and active as possible –and stay in control of your life. I believe that one way to do this is to provide the patients with appropriate tools to communicate, find support and share experiences with others in the same situation, pretty much what you do with your blog. Perhaps we should include a blog function in the web application we are about to develop!?
Thanks for the inspiration!

/Åsa

Unknown said...

Hi Peg! I'm glad that you had such a wonderful experience with your massage therapist. Massage therapist and Chiropractor (Brooklyn Park, MN) alike, are trained individuals that can help the body recover through the manipulation of tissues and nerves.

Like a good massage, family chiropractic (Brooklyn Park, MN) methods are also used to help the body maintain a good shape. It certainly is a must try for medical and leisure purposes.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

COPD symptoms said...

As a respiratory therapist, I'm glad to read this post. I never thought about massage therapy helping COPD patients. But hey, if it works, then it works. As you know, anxiety and depression play a role in COPD and I'm sure the massage helps with that as well.

I'll read some more on your blog and maybe throw a comment in here and there. Hope you continue to feel better.

lauren said...

Hi, I thought I’d share this CME and performance improvement platform with anyone who is interested. The content at www.penncmebestpractice.org is focused on improving care of patients with chronic diseases and includes preventive care. PennCME has program topics in diabetes and COPD, with activities in hypertension and immunization coming during the rest of the year. Participation in all of these activities is free. Physicians can earn as many as 30-40 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM in diabetes and COPD activities alone.

Mrs Quilty said...

This is my first stop at your blog. Interesting, since this very morning, I was discouraged and depressed about my COPD, and other physical problems, i.e. pain from arthritis and etc. It is very hard to cope with. But this afternoon, I did go to my rehab which I do 3 times a week, and though it was hard, I did it! I also do massage every other week. It isn't enough, but it helps and is wonderful! Twice a month is all my insurance will pay for. So I'm here to say keep it up and I understand!

last minute massage said...

The picture you've used here really catches my attention! Dumb ass cat! Hehehe but I really like it. :D

Johon smiths said...

it is a good to have knowledge about this one

see this site: COPD

Portable Oxygen Concentrators said...

Amazing blog! I have never heard of massages helping with breathing and COPD, but alternative medicine is a great way to find new things that help!

Tina Philipa said...

I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email;  drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or     Whatsapp     +2349010754824    website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.comDr  Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
HIV,  Herpes , Cancer,  Chronic Disease,  Asthma ,  Parkinson's disease,  External infection,  Als, progeria, common cold,  multiple sclerosis disease,   Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea, Heart Disease, meningitis, Esquizofrenia, Toxoplasmosis, Pulmonary Fibrosis,Diabetes,  Kidney Disease,  Lupus,  Epilepsy,   Stroke,Eczema, Erysipelas Eating Disorder,  Back Pain. Osteoporosis etccontact him for your solution.