Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Improvement


Week two back at pulmonary rehab has seen an improvement in my endurance with the exception of the treadmill. My hip is burning by the time I reach 5 minutes on it so I'll have to take that one very slowly.

I increased the NuStep time to 15 minutes, doing 1200 steps. I felt okay with that, with only a little pain in my right shoulder. I continued doing about 84 steps per minute.

The Upper Body Ergometer really burned my right shoulder and arm, but I stuck it out for 15 minutes. When I was done, I realized that the resistance was cranked up pretty high, so I'll pay more attention next time. I think I'll be sore tomorrow.

My blood pressure went from 142/79 after the TM, to 99/65 when I was done with all of the exercises. My sats when I started were 94% and when I was done, were 97%. I think it's pretty apparent that exercise helps the heart!

I left rehab with a sad heart. I just found out that Audrey, the 12 year old who got a double lung transplant 2 years ago, is very ill. She is now 14 and had 2 really great years. In the past couple of months, her PFT's have steadily decreased and her shortness of breath is increasing. The hospital in Boston has done everything that they can, including some experimental things, but have had no luck improving her condition. They have apparently opted not to retransplant. I can't imagine what her parents are going through right now - Audrey has made her own funeral arrangements and this must be a very difficult, if not impossible time for them.

If I ever needed to appreciate my own health status, this would be a good start.

~Eileen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear about Audrey. I remember you speaking about her when she had her transplant.

What an awful thing for a young child to go through. Her parents must be devasted.