Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Week Five ~ Tuesday


Today I had to make one stop to catch my breath on my way to the gym. I was disappointed in myself but there is a change in the weather coming and I think that is to blame for the increased shortness of breath.
I arrived at a very deserted rehab room. There were only 3 of us and a therapist. So many of the regulars were not there and I wonder where they are. I think alot about Cheryl, who is fighting cancer as well as COPD. She has such a fighting spirit and I hope she is not sick. Maybe everyone is getting ready for the 12 inches of snow that we are expecting tomorrow.
I ended last week feeling overwhelmed. My kitchen was being done over and I had packed and hauled everything out. I am thrilled with the results and now look forward to putting everything back now. I will take my time and do it when I feel spurts of energy. I have finally learned that Rome wasn't built in a day...hehehe.
When I arrived today my BP was 167/80, Pulse 93, O2 sat 95%. I maintained the 4L continuously that I used to walk in. At rest I turn it down to 1.5L.
I walked 15 minutes on the treadmill at an even level. My sats and pulse ran a good 95% and my pulse ran around 100. I checked them every 5 minutes on my pulse oximeter. I am so pleased that I was able to maintain a constant level with the activity.
I did 15 minutes on the Nu-Step, and my total steps were 1,555 at Level 5. My pulse ran around 101 and my O2 sats were 96%.
I did 12 minutes on the UBE, 6 minutes forward and 6 minutes backward. I increased the time from 10 to 12 minutes and although my upper arms were burning, I didn't mind the time. Finally. This machine was a torture for me at first, and now I can tolerate it. Yeahhhhh!
By the time I was finished, my BP was down to 124/74 and my O2 sats were 96%.
While these are baby steps, they are monumental for me. This is the first time that I have commited to a plan and I really look forward to besting myself each time that I go. Now, that's progress.
~Eileen

No comments: